Learning from David focuses on the examples that David left for us in the word of God. People have said in times past that “experience is the best teacher.” As true as that may be, the reality is we do not have to have to personally experience everything if we can can from someone else’s experience. There are so many people who have experienced so many things we can learn from.
In today Pulpit Points message from I Samuel 15:22, 23 – 16:1-10, Leroy Ricks shares three things from the life experience of David, a man after God’s own heart , that we can learn from. When we find ourselves in a dry and thirsty land, we rest in the all-sufficiency of our God.
God’s sufficiency and provisions for his children begin with his sovereign will and wisdom in choosing us in Him and should a motivation why we love and serve him independently of what others may or may not do. God’s are to rejoice in these truths:
- John 6:44 – “No one can come to Me unless the Father who sent Me draws him; and I will raise him up at the last day.”
- Acts 13:48 – “Now when the Gentiles heard this, they were glad and glorified the word of the Lord. And as many as had been appointed to eternal life believed”
- Romans 8:29 – “For whom He foreknew, He also predestined to be conformed to the image of His Son, that He might be the firstborn among many brethren.”
- Romans 9:11 – “For the children not yet being born, nor having done any good or evil, that the purpose of God according to election might stand, not of works but of Him who calls”
- I Thess. 1:3, 4 – “remembering without ceasing your work of faith, labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ in the sight of our God and Father, knowing, beloved brethren, your election by God.“
- II Thess. 2:13 – “But we are bound to give thanks to God always for you, brethren beloved by the Lord, because God from the beginning chose you for salvation through sanctification by the Spirit and belief in the truth”
- II Thess. 2:10 – “Therefore I endure all things for the sake of the elect, that they also may obtain the salvation which is in Christ Jesus with eternal glory.”